Saturday, July 31, 2010

Can someone tell me which baby carrier offers good back support for the parent?

Baby Bjorn





Active-The red and black one.





I got it for my hubby, but I use it all the time! Way easier than carrying her with my arms, and I feel no back pain at all with it on.Can someone tell me which baby carrier offers good back support for the parent?
DO NOT...I repeat, DO NOT get a Baby Bjorn. Anyone who thinks it is good for your back is mistaken. It nearly cracked me in half and I am tall (5'8';)...can't imagine if I were petite trying to use it. By the time my child was 16 pounds, I couldn't take it anymore. Not to mention, it is an unhealthy position for your baby's hips to be pulled apart like that when they are newborn. And your baby should always be facing you.





After misery with the Bjorn, I ended up buying a well-padded ring-sling (from www.slingbaby.com) and I still use it now that my child is 25 pounds. He can sit on my hip with the sling and it's great. But... the sling puts uneven weight on one side of your body, so it's still not the best for your back.





I WISH I had bought an Ergo baby carrier. It is probably the best for you back. The weight is distributed across your HIPS. And you can wear you baby either in front of you or in back. There's also an infant insert for newborns that won't pull their legs apart.





Go to http://ergobabycarrier.com/





You can see the different videos on how it works and the different ways to wear it. It will last you until your child is 3.





It's one of the more popular styles of true ';baby wearers'; too.Can someone tell me which baby carrier offers good back support for the parent?
The Ergo, Sutemi and MayaTai are your best bets for good back support and long term use. They hold infants AND toddlers and are great for an aching mama back!





My son is 2.5 and still goes happily in the Ergo sometimes. and I have a messed up back, but it NEVER causes discomfort.





I would NOT get a Bjorn or snuggli, those have your baby dangling by his/her crotch and are bad for spinal development.
I love my sling from http://www.slingezee.com/ and I love it. It is padded and very comfortable. I love how I can ';wear'; my baby in so many different positions as well. It comes with an instructional DVD that is very helpful. I wear my son in this a lot, he is 14.13 lbs and I have not had back problems yet.





Edit----------------------------------鈥?br>




Evin is right that the Moby wraps are great also. I would love to have one of those too. I still love mine but my sister has 3 and one of hers is the Moby style. She loves it.
Baby bjorn is good if you plan on only using it while your baby is an infant.But I would recomend the ERGO for all ages!!I garantee you,you will fall in love with this carrier from day one!!You can use it comfortably until your child is 3 yrs. old!!!
Personally, I didn't like the bjorn, bauer or snuggli type carriers, even with the lumbar support. It just wasn't comfortable on my back at all. The position of the baby wasn't good and they carrier wasn't adjustable enough to ever be comfortable for me. I also wasn't a big fan of the one-shoulder slings for anything longer than a quick up and down (like walking from the playground to the car or something)





I found the most comfort and versatility in the Moby-style wraps. They're completely adjustable to your body type, and you can even make your own without any home-ec prowess whatsoever. I followed the no-sew instructions on http://www.wearyourbaby.com





If you have a good baby boutique, go try several and see what works for you, different bodies, different needs, you know. Hope you find a carrier that works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment