Saturday, August 21, 2010

10. What would you say to a parent who demanded to know what child hit his child?

Its for an interview...thanks in advance.10. What would you say to a parent who demanded to know what child hit his child?
I would say...


I totally understand your frustration. It is just awful that your child was hit. We are definately aware of the situation and we take it very seriously. We have taken care of the situation. We can't release the name for privacy reasons and this is typical in any situation. If you talked to your child,I'm sure you could find out but we are unable to tell you nor will we be able to validate whether or not your child named the correct person. Again I apologize that this happened to your child. Here are some suggestions to ensure this doesn't happen again... then tell them some ideas on ways the child that got hit can react.10. What would you say to a parent who demanded to know what child hit his child?
As a teacher, you can never reveal information about another child to a parent. Confidentiality laws and policies prohibit it. To a parent who is understandably upset, you would say just that. ';I can not tell you the name of the child or any other information about him/her, but I can tell you that the child was appropriately reprimanded/punished. As a parent, I know you wouldn't want me to give someone else information about your child. I encourage you to speak to our principal about this incident.';
That you cannot give them the information, for safety reasons this is what I would say. I work in an after school program and we've actually had incidences of parents yelling at and grabbing at children they believe wronged their own child. I would say that if they want to set up a meeting with the principal and possibly with the student's parents they could be a possibility but, they don't need to know which child it was.
I would not tell I would say the issue is being adressed but In confidence I can not tell you the childs name. If your child wants to tell you I can not discourage him/her but I can not reveal the child's name. You may speak to the Principal or the school board but this is the policy in a situation such as this. Good Day

No comments:

Post a Comment