Saturday, August 21, 2010

Parent, Wife and School - How do you do it?

Hello. I am a new mother of a 3 month old baby and a wife. I also go to school F/T and try to keep a clean house, etc. Many nights I am sooo exhausted I don't even have time to finish my studies. Any thoughts from Moms who are doing or who have done the same thing? What was your schedule like?Parent, Wife and School - How do you do it?
I understand where you are coming from. I have a 2 year old, am pregnant with our second, and a wife, plus full time student.





I go to school 5 days a week (drive an hour each way!) and have been in school since my daughter was born. You may need to cut back on school until your daughter is born. I only took 12 hours for 2 semesters after she was born, but I'm taking 18 hours now. Another thing to remember is that its okay to not have a spotless house every second of the day. Its okay if you leave the dishes until the morning or if your living room isn't picked up one night, as long as you get around to it soon.





What has helped me was having a very supportive husband. He will play with our daughter so I have time to do some school work. Its really hard to do, but sometimes you just have to shut yourself in another room and focus.





My schedule is really busy. I am an education major, so I spend a TON of time in the elementary schools. I go to school 5 days a week, am taking 3 online classes (those are great if they are offered, and you are disciplined enough to learn on your own!), and spend at least 3 hours a week in the elementary school. I spend evenings and weekends with my daughter, and do school work when she is sleeping, or occupied on her own.





Just remember as hard as it is now, it will be worth it in the future!Parent, Wife and School - How do you do it?
You are doing a great thing. Don't quit school but do ask your husband for help. I don't have nor have I ever had a house keeper but in your case I would try to find someone that could come in maybe once a week to lend a hand. I know my mom pays a whole $25 a week for her house keeper and she does a great job. I am a very clean person and a freak when it comes to the cleanliness of my home but sometimes you have to say screw it. It will get done tomorrow. When your baby is sleeping, do your studies then or take a break to breath. You have to realize that as long as it's clean you're good, a house with a kid gets messy though and there is a difference between the 2. It will work out for you, you just have to slow down and de-stress before you can get it done. Just don't think that you can't ask for help, because you can.
I don't go to school, but I'm a working Mom of 3 and it's taken me a VERY long time to getthe hang of it all. Best advice I can give, as far as keeping a clean house goes, is don't let it get messy! If you make a dirty dish, wash it right away, if you get undressed and drop your clothes on the floor, pick them up right away. It's much less intimidating when there's only a little mess as opposed to waiting til the end of the day when it's a HUGE mess. Another thing I've had to train myself to do is ask for help!! Nobody's perfect and there is no such thing as a Super Mom. If you're having a particularly rough day, ask a friend of relative if they can babysit. Use the extra time to do whatever you want....whether it's catching up on housework, taking a much needed nap, or doing some shopping. Don't ever be afraid to ask for help.
I'm doing it now. I'm a mother and wife, I go to school and I work 32 hrs a week. It is really tough! I pull a double on weekends in the ER at a hospital where I live. During the week, I take my son to school (pre-k), go to school myself, and pick him up at 3. Then we go home, do homework, cook dinnner, clean house, etc. After I put him to bed at 8, I do my homework. It was soooo much harder when he was a baby! Now that he's in school, I can do the things I need to do w/out paying for daycare. You can do it! You just have to figure out some kind of crazy schedule that fits everyone's needs. Maybe think about putting your baby in daycare a few days a week while you go to school PT. Good luck!
Hi,





I have a 2 year old daughter and i am 10 weeks pregnant. I am a wife, i work full time as a secretary and i teach kids 9-11 4 days a week, it varies. This is what i do....





-I put time aside everyday for my husband and I (after work)


-I put time aside for my daughter and I (after work)


-and i put saturdays as family day ( where we all spend time together)





-I work 9-5


-I have meetings after work


-Activities after work with the kids


-Church 4 times a week





Just make sure you Prioritize your time wisely. Especially for your family. If you are overwhelmed then you should take a break and see what is best for you.
Like the first person said, you get into a routine and make it work. Use your resources. Is there anyone willing to babysit or help you make meals? Ask for help is the best thing. My pastors wife was in your boat, but she made it work and she said the outcome was great because she was doing it for herself and her children.





Keep up the good work, you can do it!
So not everyone can be a stay-at-home mom but we do what we can. Try to set up a schedule and as you go it may change a bit to suit your needs. Make sure that you add a few minutes (at least) of mom time. That will be needed for sure. Maybe try to cut back alittle on the school load so that you have time to adjust to the baby. It does get easier! Good luck and Congrats!!
you will definitely adjust ask your mom or family to keep the baby for a couple of hours while you rest.i mean i worked third shift while i had a one year old and pregnant. i also attended school 3 days a week i mean i was tired but i did it. hang in there you will adjust its only a matter of time. dont quit school like #1 mother suggested please dont
I go to school full time, I'm pregnant, raising two toddlers, work a few days a week and take care of the household. I get through it by trying to stay as organized as possible, but its not easy! Take it day by day and keep your goals within reach. You'll get there.
I don't really have an answer I just wanna say that your awesome and don't let people make you feel bad because you want an education. Your child will respect you and admire your intelligence.
its really hard at first but eventually you get into a ritual and it get easier
I didn't start the full time school thing until my daughter was 2. At that age, it's easier and harder at the same time. Easier because by the time a kid is 2, they usually have a better sleep schedule and harder because when they are 2 - they are a real handful to keep up with!





If what you are doing now is wearing you out too much, I would suggest that you keep going until you finish this set of classes then see about cutting back to 1/2 time or 3/4 time next session. My school said that as a 3/4 time student, I could still get the full benefit of my pale grant.





When my daughter was 2, here is about what my schedule was like:





Wake up at 8AM, fix breakfast, play a little, do shopping %26amp; anything else we needed to take care of early in the day. Eat lunch, clean up a little (take dishes to sink, wash face %26amp; hands) Turn on a movie for her to watch while I do about 1.5 or 2 hours of school work. She would often fall asleep during this time.





She would wake up around 1 something or 2. We would play a little more. Read, explore, whatever ... I would take her outside to run off some more energy. At some point we would have a snack. Then I'd bring her in around 5, give her a bath, and send her to my grandfather while I attend a class or do more homework. He would watch tv and play silly games with her.





Around 7 we would have dinner. After dinner was time to actually wash the dishes we had dirtied up earlier in the day, start the washer, take out the trash, etc...





8 or 9 I would put my daughter to bed. Then it's time to finish school work for the day and go to sleep.





It helps so much when you can get somebody else to help out - even if it's just watching your baby for an hour or two. And if you aren't working but are exhausted when your daughter goes to bed - have you tried taking a nap (1-4 hours) then getting up a little to study in the middle of the night? Possibly after your daughter's middle of the night feeding (if she has one).





Don't worry :) It will get better. It's hard, but so worth it.
You don't. Mothers are meant to be full time mothers, not work or go to school at the same time. My suggestion, quit school and start focusing on your child. I am fully devoted to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment