Saturday, August 21, 2010

What do you say to a parent who doesn't like anything you're teaching?

Even when you explained it's mandated. No other parent has a problem with me. However, this one parent was even upset that I was teaching his child the Bill of Rights.What do you say to a parent who doesn't like anything you're teaching?
Give the parent a copy of the program of studies. If they want to challenge that, they need to do so at the state level.What do you say to a parent who doesn't like anything you're teaching?
I had a parent object to her child's learning about the Declaration of Independence and the Fourth of July, and who refused to allow her child to be involved in any discussion of elections (this was last fall during the Presidential election).





It was hard for me to deal with, because of my teaching philosophy that I am preparing students to be competent citizens. In the end, though, I did what you did - I explained that I am bound by law to deliver the mandated curriculum. I also involved my principal at an early stage of the disagreement, just as a CYA. I did just as my principal told me to do; I figured they pay him the big bucks to sort out problems like these.
This past school year was the first time I have ever had a serious problem with this... I had a young man in my class and his parents were down my neck the whole school year about my class being too hard. He had always had good grades in math, and he had a steady B average in my class. I do push my kids to excell and sometimes my tests are not the easiest, but everything I teach is state mandated. I offered to help this child after class, line him up a tutor, or do anything I could to help him get the grade he wanted. That is my policy. You could just not please his parents though. I stood my ground on the way I taught and spent the whole year trying to explain to this to them. I am kind of glad he has moved on to Mrs. Thompsons 11th grade Algebra 2 class lol
well first off why is the parent upset about it? I don't think there's any really way to calm a parent down... all you can do is tell the parent learning one small thing opens doors to others regardless of whether or not we agree with it. Frank Herbert said, ';The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.'; or if you want to get all new age a quote from J.K. Rowling, ';His priority did not seem to be to teach them what he knew, but rather to impress upon them that nothing, not even... knowledge, was foolproof.';





also why not try easing the parent's mind by asking a higher authority why specifically the ';sensitive'; subject is even taught? ya know, tell the parent you would ask personally? (even though he should know!)





i found this ';The Amendments contained in the Bill of Rights make up a huge percentage of the values that this country was founded on. The Bill of Rights was, at the time, what set us apart from England, and for that matter, every other established country. It was a very radical move back then. ';





i'll shut up now...since i don't know specific reason why the parent has a problem with you teaching the child about the bill of rights....but i hope this helps! good luck!
Explain you have rules you have to follow. Tell him he can put his child in a private school, or home school the child if he has a problem with the public school curriculum.
I would show then a copy of the state standards and tell them that if they want to change what is taught, then they need to go to the state legislature. But until then, they should leave you alone.
Its in the curriculum. you have to teach it and if they aren't happy why don't they home-school the kid.
LOL..if its statemandated then this parent can't do anything about it
id tell them to get over it or homeschool there child

No comments:

Post a Comment