Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My parent's claimed me on their taxes. I am a full time student and got married July last year .?

I'm just wondering if my parents would recieve $300 for me. I have accepted that I'm probably losing out on the $600.My parent's claimed me on their taxes. I am a full time student and got married July last year .?
See if any of this applies to your situation:





';Jan 14 2008





These rules enable you claim a child as a dependent.


Qualifying Children





To be claimed as a qualifying child, the person must meet four criteria:





Relationship 鈥?the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild or nephew).





Residence 鈥?for more than half the year, the person must have the same residence as you do.





Age 鈥?the person must be





* under age 19 at the end of the year, or


* under age 24 and a be a full-time student for at least five months out of the year, or


* any age and totally and permanently disabled.





Support 鈥?the person did not provide more than half of his or her own support during the year.





Some Tips about Claiming Qualifying Children


The qualifying child must live with you for more than half the year. More than half a year means, at minimum, six months and one day. If you share custody, you may want to keep a log of where the child spends the night in your calendar or day planner.';My parent's claimed me on their taxes. I am a full time student and got married July last year .?
If you got married in July of last year, your parents cannot normally claim you as a dependent except in highly unusual circumstances. You should have filed a joint return with your husband. Your parents dependency claim would have been rejected and you and your spouse would have received your rebate in your own right. If you didn't file a joint return with your spouse, it's not too late to amend to a joint return now.





However you may not receive your rebate this year since it's normally based upon your original tax return as filed. In this case, you'd get it as a credit on your 2008 return next year.
If you were under age 17 as of the end of 2007, then they probably would have gotten the extra $300, but if you were 17 or older, no they wouldn't have. Parents only get the extra $300 for kids under 17.
If they claimed you on their taxes then they should get the credit for you. : (
If you are 17 or over they would not get the stimulus payment for you no matter what anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment