Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you cope with a parent who doesn't want anything to do with you?

My mother is angry with me...no longer wants me in her life. I'm trying to pack up the last of my belongings and leave her home and she doesn't want me to do that when she isn't there it seems she doesn't trust me. I am seeking counseling but would love advice/input from anyone who can tell me how I might reconcile this.How do you cope with a parent who doesn't want anything to do with you?
my dad recently throe me out and all my life iv ben treated like **** what i did was just stoped caring what he ses i just let go but not enuf to fall there is a simple thing to do in your case witch is just have nothing to do with her and i cant say someday it will get better because most likely it wont and ppl need to face that im sorry for whats happening but if she wants u to be in her life then be in her life just not fully like at anytime u can leaveHow do you cope with a parent who doesn't want anything to do with you?
Move out %26amp; Move on..Be the better person! Keep moving forward %26amp; dont look back... RECENTLY done and my life is so much better without the people who hurt my family and tried to hurt me. Kep your head up and Move on...
My mother and I have never been close. I'm 40 now, and I recently had an epiphany about that, based on a comment she made to during a visit to my home.





After pouring out all this angst about how I felt as a child, she sighed heavily and said, ';I'm not responsible for you.';





I wondered if she meant that now that I'm 40 she wasn't responsible for my unhappiness. Or if she meant it from the moment I was born---a lot of things that happened to me as a child could apply to that statement as well.





In the end, I decided it didn't matter, then or now. What I gleaned from her implied apathy was that she's human. I was strange child. I liked to read and write. I was shy and said strange things. I wrote her long rambling short stories that I'm surprised didn't land me on a child psychiatrist's sofa. She was a human being who didn't have all the answers to raising a child, esp. a peculiar one. She did the best she could, now it was up to me to take care of myself.





I don't know how old you are. I don't know if you've been in trouble, accidentally or intentionally. I don't know if she's an unfit mother or you're an incorrigible child. In the end, this is where your relationship with her has landed you. Perhaps it's time, as you embark upon premature adulthood, to take stock in your responsibility in that relationship. If you omitted a past with her that was rocky and difficult due to YOUR actions, then you need to figure out if you want to (a) keep messing up now that you're on your own (b) pass on the legacy of indifference and drama to your future children by NOT repairing your relationship with yourself and your mother or (c) move out of her life completely, as you believe she wants, and start a whole new chapter for yourself and not learn anything. There are other choices, but now, it doesn't matter how it came about that you NEED to choose. Now it's important that you simply choose.





Your counselor will help you make these choices, so I suggest you keep seeing him/her. Start a good habit of taking care of yourself and your responsibilities and you'll have a firm foundation for your adult life. That means, getting a job, living within your means, and creating relationships that support and nurture you. It's called picking up the pieces. Or rather, where your mother left off.





I wish I could tell you how to resolve this because your road is about to get a bit more rocky than it's been. But if you want to reconcile with your mother, you need to see her as a human being, flawed and imperfect. Just like you. Try to be understanding, try to articulate your feelings as best you can, try to be objective. And most of all, try to love your mother in spite of what you perceive as her faults and shortcomings. When you were a baby spitting up all over the place, she did this for you because she had to. No one asks a mother is she indeed wanted to be a mother. Sometimes, it's just a choice she doesn't get to make wholly on her own. Forgive and move on.
It depends on what she is angry about. Chances are, since you are packing your things and leaving, that it was something serious. But believe it or not I went through the same thing with my mom about a week ago :). Except I had no intentions of reconciling with her. Seeing on how you do, I'd say you already made the first move by giving her what she wanted and moving away. The next step would be to try and re-establish communication. Be it through lots of emails, texts, or messages on the phone. Just let her know that you want everything to be better and that your sorry for whatever happened. If that doesn't work I'd say give it some time for the wounds to heal. Go on with your life and let her do the same, and then sometime in the future maybe she will have put it all behind her. Anyway a bit long winded I know, but I hope it helps.
I don't know the history here so it's hard to give advice on this, nor do I know your age. It sounds like there has been a history of disappointment and broken promises and possibly some betrayal felt on your Mom's part, justified or not.


My suggestion would be to collect your things when she is home, apologise for whatever happened and let her know you are going to change. Take some time to get your life together, take some responsibility for your actions and come back to her in the not too distant future telling her what you are doing to fix your situation.


Actions always speak louder than words so if the trust has been lost for whatever reason, show her through your actions that you have changed and be consistent. If you can show her that you want to reconcile and that you are making a concerted effort to change, things will probably work out in the end. First step is to look in the mirror and ask yourself what role you played in this and go about making the changes that you can control.
for now- move on with your life


maybe someday in the future you'll want to reconcile


a therapist can help you either accept that your MOm isnt a motherly loving person or help you move on with your own life





Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment