Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is it like being a single parent?

Is it lonely? Hard to go out with people? Hard to meet new people or get dates? I just want to know how people that have gone through it or are going through it feel...What is it like being a single parent?
believe me its hard.its even harder when you are married.If you are still young enjoy it! What is it like being a single parent?
I've been a single parent for 7 years and would describe life as anything but lonely. It's all what you make of it. I've made it a point to establish a network of friends who are also single parents so there are always fun and kid-friendly activities for us to be involved in.





As for dating... it can be problematic but it's not impossible. I do believe it's a good idea to keep your dating life and family life separated. Sometimes it can be difficult to find people to date who can understand this, and they want to force themselves into my children's lives when I have no desire for them to be involved with them. I think the most important thing is to provide stability for your child(ren). This means that you should try to establish pretty consistent routines and not bring people (dates, especially) in and out of their lives. Only introduce your child(ren) to someone you're dating after you've been together long enough to know that you're in a long-term relationship. For example, my daughters have met two people I've dated in the past 7 years. It won't be impossible for you to establish a relationship, but you should consider your child's need for security before jumping into anything.
it's all those things but when you are a parent your priorities change or should and when you are a single parent its no different only that you are the sole provider of all things spiritual, emotional and financial for those kids. you cannot count on the partner who left to provide for them. when you have kids they are your life and come first no matter what, every decision you make starts first with how it will affect the kids. i was a single parent for many years and yes i went out but never at the expense of my child.
I would say it depends on your personality to begin with. I'm a single mom, and sometimes it's lonely, but that's because I'm not a very social person, and never have been. I don't really have a social life, but it would be that way regardless of being a single mom. On the other hand, there are single moms who are more interactive with others, therefore they have more friendships and encounters with new guys. That's just the way they are, from the beginning.


As far as parenting, I find it easier myself. Depending on the situation, there may be no other parent to disagree with about certain issues, so there is a lot less stress in that area. I enjoy being the only one to make decisions regarding my daughter.


As far as the social life as a single parent, I guess it is what you make it.


Like a lot of other people mentioned, you tend to care more about your child and yourself. Sometimes that seems hard enough to do, without trying to add other people (whether friends or guys) to the mix. Like Johnny's Mommy said, dating for me will come when it comes. I myself am not going to go out looking for trouble - LOL! If it happens, it happens. I'm just fine on my own with my daughter, trying to do my best with that. At the same time, remember to do things that make you happy too!
For me, it's not that lonely. I am emotionally filled by my daughter and she is all I need for now. Then again, I am in my mid-30's. A friend of mine that is in her mid-20's is terribly lonely and is taking it pretty hard. Both of our daughters are 2-years-old.





For me, being a single parent is the best thing I can think of. There's no one to answer to and no stupid man to have to argue with about how to parent my child (which is something I've seen in some of my married friends' relationships).





As far as meeting new people is concerned, I live in a town where the quality of the men is severely wanting so I don't worry about finding a guy. Oddly enough, an old man (that is not from here) introduced me to his son (also not from around here) and we're getting along fine...long distance (he's getting deployed). I'm pretty sure that having the parents involved is the key to happiness.





Just my two cents! :-)






It's the most rewarding thing I've ever done.





I'm not lonely, I'm too busy to be lonely, ha! :) It's not hard to go out with people, I pack my son up and here we go. If you mean dating wise, I don't really feel the need at the moment to date. I'm more concerned with my son and getting him raised to be a well behaved young man. Dating will come when it comes.





It can be frustrating - especially when it comes to being able to afford everything. I'm broke all the time. But I deal with it. I love my son with all my heart and soul and I wouldn't change anything for all the money in the world.
for the first few years the kid will be your priority, asumming that you are commited to parenthood. for that matter you will have a reason to live and as the other person said, you wont care about dates. Thoug, i think that the time you spend on this stage of joy is proportionally inverse to the family you have, or friends. The more support you have, the easier it will be for you.
You make it work. Your kid(s) should come first. It is better to be a single parent than stay unhappy and have your child witness arguments or abuse. It can be hard at times- but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Dating is not an option for my circumstances (this has nothing to do with the baby) and I had 25 years to go out to bars and clubs and act like a dumb***. Adulthood is very refreshing.
I am a single mom to a 12 y/o daughter and a 9 y/o son...and for me it is extremely hard to be a single mom. I never go out because my ex will not take care of his kids,and I have no family or friends. I am very much lonely and I suffer from depression,not to mention an anxiety disorder and panic attacks.I love my children so much and certainly don't regret having them. I just wish I had a partner in parenting to help me raise them. My son has alot of anger and he gives me alot of problems and it's hard to deal with this on my own. My daughter will sometimes get a bad attitude and talk back to me,and then the two of them will get into fights with one another...and I feel like I am constantly yelling at them. I am so stressed out because when you area single mom you have a really tight budget to work with. I don't know if my kids will even be able to get Halloween costumes this year.


But...my children make me happy because they see that I am doing it all on my own...and sometimes they will say what a great mom I am, that is what keeps me going. I just keep hoping that things will get better and that somehow I might meet someone wonderful to be in our lives. Their father is extremely abusive to me and I would like for them to see how a real man is. So...in my experience it is hard and lonely.
Every choice I make is for the well being of my child.


my job, my shift, my days off, the car i drive,the food i buy,who i date, the words i choose, my actions, the money i spend or save.


Its hard, but with the right support system, it can be done very well.


Remember: You set the example all of the time



I was a single mom ( at a very vary young age) my mom would tell me that no one will like me etc. but its not true. I have my man he was cool with kids. the only thing is i don't go out as much but you can always find a babysitter. sometimes though before I used to get a little sad b/c all my friends were out but that's in the past. Now I am happy with Him and my kids. good luck you will get through it.
Well your priority should be your children, so who cares if you don't get to go out alone or date? There are lots of kid oriented clubs to join, so you meet people with the same interests or circumstance. It's only as lonely as you let it be...
i always tell people that being a single mom is a huge turnon. not to flirt but a single mom is socha powerful person and it shows how strong you guys are. i salute you all for all the hard work you guys do

No comments:

Post a Comment