Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How to have a social life as a single parent?

I'm finding it very hard to manage a full time career, parent a 7 year old boy and enjoy any kind of single life! Making a date is sometimes a planning nightmare... with schedules, activities and other responsibilities. I share custody and that works out fine.... but i'm almost ready to give up on trying to have a social life. I love the company of men and friends though.... and I need that to be content... at least SOME of the time! So.... thoughts? Tips? Suggestions appreciated!!!!How to have a social life as a single parent?
My, that Forest is such a good boy.Is there a Mr, Gump ? Oh , you say he's on vacation ?How to have a social life as a single parent?
You aren't alone! My mother was the same way-she had to look after me when I was younger and manage her fulltime job and keep her house clean and tidy all by herself. On the weekends, she would usually claim one day to herself. I would go to my grandparents' house to visit and she would use her well-earned 'me' time to go out to block parties or on dates or just martini's with friends.
Yes it can be very hard and frustrating when trying to work around everything and not having someone to help you. Well if you want a date that could be fun then invite the guy you want to come to ball game or something to watch your son then go out for pizza. Give you a chance to enjoy yours son's activities and also the company of an adult.





You could also plan one night a week when you know that there are no activities and get a sitter and go out that night to a friends or on a date. Don't give up just get creative. You can turn any outing into a social occasion if the people you want to be with don't mind. Just when you do go out sometimes include your son, he will get a kick out of it. You know like mini golf and burgers, your son will have fun and so will you with who ever you are dating. Just make sure they are someone you want around your son.





There is also nothing wrong with cooking a meal at home and having them come over for a movie. Or a saturday afternoon barbacue or even going to the lake and cooking out and swimming. Having a social life like you use to have is almost impossible but you can still have one but try to include the most important man in your life when you get comfy with who you are with because they will have to like your son too because he is part of you.





Even if it is just once a month to start first find a sitter that can stay till say 11 or 10 on weeknight and go out. If the guy you wanting to go on a date with is resonable he will understand. You care for you son and think of him but there is still time for you too. Hope this gives you some ideas. Have a great day and take care.
I am in the same situation as you dear. I am a single father, working 42 hours a week, getting off work around 11:30pm each night. On top of that, I just moved to a new city, so that makes it even harder to meet people. Usually what I have been doing, is slowly meeting people around work or online (I know that can be scary), and talk online and on the phone with them for a week or 2. Then I invite them over to my place late at night. After that, I get a sitter for the night and start going out. In the 8 months I've been in this new city (Anchorage), I have met 10 new people. That's almost one a month! So, there is light at the end of the tunnel, it just takes a little time. Just remember.....our kids come first! Good luck, and if you ever make it to Alaska.....you have at least ONE friend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment